When I am trying to clean out the fridge before a vacation I pull out all the fresh produce I can and google those ingredients to make an interesting meal. A few months ago I stumbled upon howsweeteats.com and that’s where I found the Fried Tortilla Egg! Let me tell you, it’s a total game changer! I love how simplistic yet deliciousness it is. I’m telling you, your life will change once you make this deliciousness!
Now I kept the toppings very simple, because thats what I had in the refrigerator. But you can throw whatever you want on top! Or you don’t put anything at all! When Myles gets home I’m going to add some hot sauce and chorizo and see what he thinks.
The best part
Now I know we’re all moms and we don’t have a lot of time, so no worries this recipe takes minutes! And most importantly it’s extremely satisfying and filling so one is enough for me.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 large egg
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 ounce freshly grated sharp white cheddar
- 1 4-inch flour tortilla (I used Trader Joes handmade flour tortilla)
- sliced cheery tomatoes
- green onions
- fresh cilantro
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and once it melts, crack one egg over top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until the egg turns white. Very carefully flip the egg. Once you flip it (try not to break it), top it with HALF of the grated cheddar. Place the tortilla on top.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Gently flip the egg over so the tortilla is now on the bottom of the pan. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover with a lid and cook for another minute.
- Slide the tortilla egg onto a plate and cover it with the tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Enjoy!