What’s it like having a cold as a mom? It’s just like a regular cold, but no one cares (especially my busy testing two year old). So when I need to feel better fast I turn to my favorite soup. Sausage Kale Soup. It’s chock full of meat, beans, veggies, and much more! Helping me get over this mom cold.
- around 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, I like using Johnsonville mild Italian
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, rinsed and sliced (you can use baby carrots if that’s all you have on hand)
- 3 celery stalks, rinsed and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 cans white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 boxes of Swanson chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese to serve
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven or soup pot.
- Add sausage and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. or until browned, stirring occasionally to break into smaller pieces.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate and set aside.
- Pour remaining olive oil to the soup pot and heat it up.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, bay leaf, and cook for about 8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in garlic, salt, pepper, and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Mix in kale and cook until it starts to wilt, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in beans, prepared sausage, and broth; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 15 minutes to combine all the flavors.
- Remove from heat and take out the bay leaf.
- Divide soup among bowls and top with cheese to serve!
Let me know what other recipes you want to see on this page! Follow me on IG @emily.fee to see daily recipes and step by step instructions on my stories.